Re: Bopomofo summary updated

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 10:30:50 +0000
To: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
CC: W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>, public-i18n-cjk@w3c.org
hi Ted,

On 04/02/2015 18:21, Edward O'Connor wrote:
> Also, tone mark positioning
> isn't like other optional font features like ligatures. Their position
> isn't stylistic.

The jury seems to be still out on whether it's desirable to add tones as
a spacing character after letters in some cases, rather than combining
like a diacritic, so i'm inclined to think that there may be some
stylistic possibility.

> Have you tried WebKit's implementation of this recently? I'd love to get
> feedback on our tone mark positioning.

Like Xidorn, i was unable to see the any special bopomofo tone mark
positioning on the latest webkit nightly.  Here's the code I used:

ruby { ruby-position: inter-character; }

What I see for the ruby is equivalent to ruby-position: over.  For the
para i just see the tone of the first syllable after the letters.

ri