Re: [css-scoping] Shadow Cascading

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 20:48:40 -0800
To: Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 5:51 AM, Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com> wrote:
> In [1] you have:
>
> "When comparing two declarations, if one of them is in a shadow tree
> and the other is in a document that contains that shadow tree, then
> for normal rules the declaration from the outer document wins, and for
> important rules the declaration from the shadow tree wins."
>
> What about nested shadow trees? Could "document" be "shadow tree" as well?

Yes. I don't know if we have good terminology to mean "chunk of
content, which can be a document or a shadow tree".

> Also,
>
> "When calculating Order of Appearance, the tree of trees, defined by
> the Shadow DOM specification, is used to calculate ordering."
>
> Assuming the first point holds for nested shadow trees as well, order
> of appearance only applies within the same scope, right?

Yeah, since different scopes would have resolved earlier.

> If so, using "tree of trees" might mislead to think otherwise.

Eh, if you just follow the algorithm it's impossible to screw up.  And
"tree of trees" is the term I want, as it applies between sibling
shadow trees.