Re: [css-ruby] Tone mark of bopomofo in ruby

From: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 17:06:12 +0000
To: Bobby Tung <bobbytung@wanderer.tw>
CC: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
On 3/2/15 16:38, Bobby Tung wrote:
> Hi JK
>
> I don't what you do not agree with.
>
> In Print and plain text conversion, light tone usually placed before bopomofo character like: ˙ㄧㄚ just like what your example shown.

> I think authors should mark bopomofo and light tone as 2.  And browser do nothing to reorder.

OK, I think I must have misunderstood what you were saying in an earlier
message -- sorry for my confusion. Your example (2) agrees with what I
was thinking.

(After re-reading some of the earlier messages in this thread, I'm
finding myself less certain just how well-established this convention
is. In particular, Richard's page mentions that input methods expect the
light tone to be typed after the syllable, which was not what I thought
I remembered -- but I'm not a Chinese typist!)

Anyway, sorry for the noise due to my mis-reading.

JK