Re: [css-round-display] Positioning elements with polar positioning and absolute positioning

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 09:06:00 -0800
Cc: Jihye Hong <jh.hong@lge.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>

> On Dec 22, 2015, at 1:16 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>
> 'Polar-origin' and 'center' sort of do the same thing. But 'center' is also meant to be used with T/R/B/L. I'm not sure if that's useful, complicating things, or both.
>
> left: 50px; right: 50px; width: 100px; center-x: 0;

Check my proposal again. Only my last alternative used 'center'. 'center' would be ignored if top, right, bottom, or left were not 'auto'. 'Center-x' would be ignored if 'left' or 'right' were not auto. So in the example above, 'center-x' would be ignored.

> We already have (complex) rules to resolve the over-constraining that happens with the first 3 properties, but the 4th makes it worse.

Not really, because horizontal center positioning only takes place if horizontal edge positioning does not take place, and vertical center positioning only takes place if vertical edge positioning does not take place.