Re: [css-align] The "legacy" keyword

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 10:31:12 +0900
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

> On 04 Dec 2015, at 08:57, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> First, it needs to inherit, but the alignment properties are
> non-inheriting.  To get around this we have some funky computation
> rules that explicitly examine the inherited value of the property and
> sometimes compute to it.  We don't mix inheritance and non in any
> other property

We don't do it a lot, but there's at least one example:

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-ui-4/#content-selection

Quote from the spec:

  Note: This unusual combination of a non inherited property
  with an initial value of auto whose computed value depends
  on the parent element makes it possible to create
  what is effectively selective inheritance.
  This was initially proposed by Microsoft in IE
  to introduce a behavior similar to inheritance
  except that the ''contain'' value does not inherit.

 - Florian