Re: [mediaqueries] Trying to understand the syntax design

On Wed, 06 May 2015 17:18:39 +0200, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
wrote:

> Florian Rivoal wrote:
>
>  > > Do you perhaps have any sources that states that MQ was designed
> with min/max-width due to that, and that >=/<= is really preferred?
>  >
>  >  >=/<= is new. It could have been introduced a long time ago,
>  > but it wasn't
>
> Actually, the first MQ draft used <>:
>
>   http://people.opera.com/howcome/2000/css3/media-oct-23.html
>
> An objection was quickly raised:
>
>  | All the HTML examples are invalid since the ampersand character must
>  | be escaped (&amp;). Solution: either that's ok, or we use the word
>  | 'and' or the symbol '+'. Similarly with the '<' and '>' symbols.

And this was actually technically wrong. It was perfectly valid to use <
and > inside attribute values in HTML4. It was also valid to use a lone
ampersand, if the next character was not a name-start character.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software