Re: [css-writing-modes] the caption-side keywords

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 15:03:37 +0900
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>
On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 8:55 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> [snip]
>> However, the spec says 'bottom' must be treated as 'block-start'.
>> This may cause problem.
>> It would be better 'bottom' treated as block-end?
>>

> This was done intentionally as error-handling, as Tab explains:
>   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2015Aug/0072.html
> See also below...
>
> I don't think this is good to change.

What about leaving it undefined? While I understand what you and Tab want,
with the current definition, "bottom" is "block-end if horizontal, or
block-start if vertical" if we look from the logical implementation. Having
such a special code path doesn't seem to worth the goal.

Just checked IE, Blink, and WebKit, IE and Blink/WebKit already disagree.
Gecko should also disagree given its side caption support. I think
"undefined" is the appropriate definition in such case.

Not interoperable among all major browsers should be good enough to prevent
authors from using it, so I think your goal is still secured.

/koji