Re: [css-align][css-flexbox] Differences between start, self-start and flex-start values.

On 07/29/2015 02:04 AM, Javier Fernandez wrote:
> Hi fantasai,
>
> Thanks for the replies, really helpful.
>
> On 07/28/2015 05:25 PM, fantasai wrote:
>> On 07/27/2015 05:12 PM, Javier Fernandez wrote:
>>> * flex-start:
>>>     - Aligns the alignment subject to be flush with the edge of the
>>> alignment container corresponding to the flex container’s main-start or
>>> cross-start side, as appropriate.
>>
>> This will always be the cross-start side, since align-self operates in
>> the cross dimension.
>
> So, this is an error in the specs, isn't it ? I was about to ask what
> would make we use either main-start or cross-start side, but from your
> words I assume it's a mistake and we should use only cross-start side.

I'm not sure what you mean, where is it an error in the specs?
The definition of 'flex-start' in CSS Box Alignment applies to the 'flex-start'
value of all the alignment, so it needs to be written to work for both axes.

>> For example, if we have a vertical-rl ltr item, its start sides are
>> the top and the right, and the end sides are the bottom and left.
>> If the cross axis is vertical, the align-item: self-start aligns to
>> the right.
>
> I guess here is "top", isn't it ? Since cross axis is vertical we align
> flex item top-bottom, If I understood it correctly.

Yes, sorry. :)

~fantasai