[css-writing-modes] proposed 'writing-mode:sideways-*' values: effect on computed value of 'display'

From: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 20:55:23 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
The current Writing Modes draft says:

# If a box has a different block flow direction than its containing block:
#
#    If the box has a specified display of inline, its display computes
to inline-block. [CSS21]
#    If the box has a specified display of run-in, its display computes
to block. [CSS21]
#    If the box is a block container, then it establishes a new block
formatting context.

How (if at all) will this change if the proposal to introduce
writing-mode:sideways-lr and sideways-rl values is adopted?

I'm assuming we'll go for something along the lines of:

# If a box has a different computed value for writing-mode than its
containing block, .....

so that in an example like:

the <span>'s display will compute to 'inline-block' rather than
'inline'. Is this correct?

Thanks,

JK