[css-writing-modes] new sideways-* values for writing-mode (was Re: [CSSWG] Minutes Telecon 2015-08-05)

 From last week's minutes:

On 6/8/15 12:22, Dael Jackson wrote:

> writing-modes and text-orientation

I'd like to make this change to Gecko in the very near future, but
before starting to actually land code it would be good to have
confirmation of the decision.

My current understanding is that we'll end up with:

   writing-mode: horizontal-tb |
                 vertical-rl | vertical-lr |
                 sideways-rl | sideways-lr

and

   text-orientation: mixed | upright | sideways (or sideways-rl?)

where text-orientation has no effect in horizontal or sideways-* writing
modes; it's only applicable to vertical-* modes.

Regarding the 'sideways' value of text-orientation, this (AIUI) is the
same as the current draft's 'sideways-right', which is already
implemented in several browsers (with or without prefixes). As such,
would it be better to retain the 'sideways-right' name, or perhaps to
accept it as an alias of 'sideways', so as to avoid breaking content
that is already using that name?

A firm decision on the new design, as well as any guidance on what to do
with 'text-orientation: sideways-right', would be very welcome. Thanks!

JK