Re: [selectors-4] selector matching being specified from left to right

On 08/11/2015 01:39 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 10:31 AM, fantasai
> <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>
>> Tab, why is this section in the spec? What is it providing that's
>> not otherwise provided?
>
> It provides a basis for me to actually define combinators in a
> rigorous way, which is necessary when we have more complex combinators
> like the shadow-piercing ones (tho we're changing them).  When you're
> crossing between contexts and have to define in what context each part
> of the selector is actually evaluated in, having a good description of
> the process makes it much easier and less error-prone.

I'm not entirely convinced here, can you point me at an example of where
you are needing this section to exist in its current form?

Fwiw, I definitely think we should be writing the definitions about
matching an individual selector against an individual element (and
giving a match/not-match result), not creating a tree-filtering
algorithm. That's absolutely not necessary to put in the spec.

~fantasai