Re: Font MIME types

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 19:07:48 +0200
To: Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Hello Zack,

> I researched this back in 2011
> <https://www.owlfolio.org/htmletc/strawman-mime-type-for-fonts/>.  At
> that time the only officially registered MIME type for a font format
> was "application/font-tdpfr", corresponding to an obsolete format that
> has never been implemented by any browser to my knowledge.

TrueDoc Portable Font Resource was implemented in a browser (in
Netscape 4) but is no longer relevant; with the move from
closed-source Netscape to open-source Mozilla that format, which
required payment of license fees to Bitstream, was dropped.

TrueDoc PFR and EOT were the origina two formats used for downloadable
fonts on the Web, historically. EOT used CSS @font-face; PFR used an
HTML link relation.

--
Best regards,