Re: [css-multicol][css-sizing] Intrinsic Sizes of Multi-column Elements

On 03/26/2015 09:19 AM, Simon Sapin wrote:

>>> I think you'd need to lay out to find the column count here. Sounds bad.
>>
>> Yes. It makes layout engineers unhappy, but it's the only answer
>> that really makes sense, and it's required for a some real-world
>> use cases.
>
> This is not about happiness. It’s just that "To determine X, you first
> have to know X" is not implementable.

I understand that circularity is bad, but I'm not seeing what's circular here.

Given a column width and a column height and some content,
you lay out the content into columns until you run out of content.
Then you count the number of columns, multiply by the column width,
and you're done: this is the intrinsic width of the element.

How is this circular?

~fantasai