Re: [css-multicol][css-sizing] Intrinsic Sizes of Multi-column Elements

On 01/04/15 18:33, fantasai wrote:

>>> Yes. It makes layout engineers unhappy, but it's the only answer
>>> that really makes sense, and it's required for a some real-world
>>> use cases.
>>
>> This is not about happiness. It’s just that "To determine X, you first
>> have to know X" is not implementable.
>
> I understand that circularity is bad, but I'm not seeing what's circular here.
>
> Given a column width and a column height and some content,
> you lay out the content into columns until you run out of content.
> Then you count the number of columns, multiply by the column width,
> and you're done: this is the intrinsic width of the element.
>
> How is this circular?

Oh, I see.

You use "used column count" to mean "number of columns generated in an
hypothetical layout where the specified column-width is used directly"
whereas I interpreted it as "number of columns used in the actual layout
that is eventually rendered to the screen." The former is indeed not
circular.

--
Simon Sapin