Re: [css-line-grid][css-books] (base)line grids

On 10/1/14, 2:05 PM, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

>Also sprach Liam R E Quin:
>
> > > I think that once we establish a good use case for reaching out to an
> > > ancestor’s grid, then we can introduce root/page and/or named grids.
>Until
> > > then, I’d rather keep things simple. I expect the vast majority of
> > > documents will establish only one grid. If actual usage shows
>something
> > > different, we can solve the use case when it comes up.
> >
> > How about a publication with two columns of text, e.g. main body
> > and sidebar on the outer edge of each page, where the sidebar has
> > smaller type...?
>
>Yes, this is a common case. So, your markup would be something like:
>
>  <article>
>     <aside>...</aside>
>     <aside>...</aside>
>  </article>
>
>Setting a baseline grid on the 'article' element is a solution for the
>main column, but setting it on 'aside' would lead to each <aside>
>element having its own baseline grid.
>
>This is another situation where the 'root' keyword would be handy, one
>could simply do:
>
>  article { baseline-grid: new }
>  aside { baseline-grid: root }

This works or not depending on the designer’s intent. It definitely allows
the two aside elements to share a grid, but as far as I can tell this
isn’t usually what the designer wants. What I see instead are aside
elements with their own grid but where the first line of each aside aligns
with a baseline from the article text. I think this can be accomplished
without resorting to a named grid:

article { line-grid: create }
aside {
  line-grid: create;
  box-snap: first-baseline;
}

This would set the aside element such that the first aside baseline would
snap to the article grid, and the remainder of the aside baselines would
follow a new aside grid. Two separate asides might not align to each
other, but each aside would align harmoniously with the main text.

Thanks,

Alan