Re: [geometry] DOMMatrix constructor with CSS transform list string

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 12:47 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
>> > 4) Transform function idents and first opening brace can be whitespace
>> > separated:
>> >         translate   (20px, 20px) or matrix
>> >             (1,0,0,1,0,0) are valid.
>>
>> I consider #4 a bizarre legacy quirk of the SVG syntax that shouldn't
>> infect anything else in the platform, and would oppose including it.
>
> Why would you oppose this? It's not like we're proposing that this is valid
> CSS transform syntax or that the serialization of a DOMMatrix would return
> this.
> If this is valid syntax for the SVG parser, it seems that DOMMatrix needs to
> support it.

Why does DOMMatrix need to support it?  That's not true unless there's
legacy content relying on DOMMatrix (nee SVGMatrix) parsing it.

I oppose it because it's a blight of a syntax. :/  Unless someone has
a really good explanation, I'm assuming that it was originally allowed
by mistake in the first place, just an oversight in the grammar nobody
caught until it was too late.

~TJ