Re: [css-inline] Summary of drop-caps/initial-letters discussion

On 05/20/2014 01:01 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:

>      From the few examples of Arabic I've found, it seems more common to drop the first word rather than the first letter.
>     OpenOffice.org drop caps feature has a "whole word" option which handles this.  With this proposal, the first word would
>     have to be wrapped in an element to handle this, right?
>

> Correct. I wonder if there's interest in a ::first-word pseudo-element. The books we publish often set the first three words
> of each chapter in all caps; ::first-n-word(3) would be nice ;)

The problem here is that you don't always want the first three
words. In some cases you might want the first three significant
words. Or the first two words, if one of those words is longer.
It gets adjusted based on the grammar.

For example, here

   L'HOTEL DU quartier était situé ...

we might want to adjust that to

   L'HOTEL DU QUARTIER était situé ...

because the former gives some grammatically awkard emphasis.

Similarly,

   DEFENESTRATION IS A long amusing vocabulary lesson.

would be better adjusted to

   DEFENESTRATION is a long amusing vocabulary lesson.

even if in the same book

   THE DARK KNIGHT was allergic to sunlight.

This request has come up before, but for my reply has always been,
in this case, you'll want to use markup. Because it's not only a
counting thing, but also a semantic thing and a visual (word-length)
thing.

~fantasai