Re: [css-counter-styles] Should using the wrong symbols vs. additive-symbols make an @counter-style rule invalid?

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 6:51 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> This means that failing to have a necessary 'symbols' or
> 'additive-symbols' descriptor makes a @counter-style rule invalid,
> and having an unnecessary 'symbols' or 'additive-symbols' descriptor
> for a rule with 'system: override' makes the @counter-style rule
> invalid.
>
> But nothing I see says that having an unnecessary 'symbols' or
> 'additive-symbols' descriptor for the other six counter styles makes
> the rule invalid (that is, having 'symbols' for 'system: additive'
> or having 'additive-symbols' for one of the 5 systems that require
> 'symbols').  This seems like an odd asymmetry.  Is it intentional,
> should it be fixed, or am I missing relevant spec text?

Unintentional, but I'm not sure it needs to be fixed.  As Xidorn says,
the presense of 'symbols' or 'additive-symbols' is actively
*confusing* for the override system, so requiring them not to be
specified seems fine.  It seems acceptable to allow a useless property
for the other systems, though.

That said, I'm not opposed to making the rule invalid in those other
cases as well.