Re: [css-variables] ...let's change the syntax

On Mar 17, 2014, at 10:48 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:

> * Daniel Glazman wrote:
>> To be honest, I don't think that's what framework authors or even web
>> site designers were looking for. They were looking for -jquery-foo and
>> -mywebsite-foo because prefixes are already well known. They don't
>> care and don't want to care about our syntactic rules about idents
>> starting with a hyphen or not. This has always had my preference; users
>> first.
>
> I very much doubt that authors would like to see more `-vnd-` prefixes
> in their code, especially not in their JavaScript code since they look
> so irritating and out of place, never minding that many authors probably
> have been traumatised by these vendor prefixes at some point.
> —

They were traumatized by the need to write the same property with 4 or 5 different prefixes. Unless we have reason to expect future pages to load n versions of the same custom property I do not believe the scenario at hand to be quite comparable.

It is possible major frameworks and libraries will namespace their custom property names to avoid name collisions; or maybe they won’t need to. But if/when they turn out to need to to do it, I’m quite positive the irritation of broken pages far outweighs the irritation of seeing them in code.

Not sure we need to specify anything though; as long as —jquery-foo and —foo are valid custom idents we’re all set.