Re: [css-variables] ...let's change the syntax

On 13/03/2014 04:38, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> I've been thinking.
>
> At the last f2f, I proposed custom MQs and pseudo-classes.  To
> distinguish them from CSS-defined ones, I mandated that they had to
> start with (or perhaps just contain) an underscore character, because
> this is a valid character that CSS is nevertheless never going to use
> in language-defined names.
>
> This, while a little ugly, seems to do the job pretty well.

Yeah, and I was opposed to your underscore proposal because of that.
I really found the "underscore anywhere" proposal totally opposed to
anything we've done in the past in CSS but since there was a rather
large consensus, I accepted it.

If I understand correctly, we're only days from a shipping
implementation. We've kept the variables topic on the radar for 14
years and I am not comfortable with changing things at the last minute;
it's highly time to deliver. Any syntactic change we make must be done
quietly these days, because we have so much more on the radar than 6
years ago; any change has many impacts.

"--" looks ok but raised some concerns.
"_" is ugly, and not "a little" bit, but we resolved on it :-/

To be honest, I don't think that's what framework authors or even web
site designers were looking for. They were looking for -jquery-foo and
-mywebsite-foo because prefixes are already well known. They don't
care and don't want to care about our syntactic rules about idents
starting with a hyphen or not. This has always had my preference; users
first.

</Daniel>