Re: [css-variables] ...let's change the syntax

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 6:40 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 2014-03-13 15:19 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:45 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > But we've already done that a bunch of times at various stages in
> > > the process for getting to where we are.  When do we stop?
> >
> > I talked to heycam before proposing this, and set up an explicit
> > deadline, along with the expectation that the current state of affairs
> > is totally fine to keep if we don't decide on anything else.
> >
> > Heycam said that a change like this would be trivial to make, and
> > wouldn't slow down your shipping, since you're currently blocked on
> > another bug anyway.  Whichever way this gets resolved on the call next
> > Wed, heycam'll make the change (or not), and then flip the "shipping"
> > flag immediately after.
> >
> > I'm being responsible with the change here - no need to stress.
>
> Sounds good.  I was responding to the part of the thread
> contemplating much larger changes.
>
> -David
>
> --
> š¯„˛   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   š¯„‚
> š¯„¢   Mozilla                          https://www.mozilla.org/   š¯„‚
>              Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
>              What I was walling in or walling out,
>              And to whom I was like to give offense.
>                - Robert Frost, Mending Wall (1914)

I agree, a lot of things seem to be on the table in this thread, can we
narrow down the choice set that is actually doable?  Is my suggestion of
"--" everywhere for custom as opposed to "_" just as doable?  Underscores
might be used in CSS today, certainly objects contain underscored
properties - but "--" is definitely something you'd get a map syntax or
plugin kinda thing for (not unlike in jquery).  I find this very
explainable and consistent as "custom, no vendor" as well and if it's
viably on the table I'm interested in hearing whether folks think that
carries any water.