Re: [css-grid] Punt subgrids to level 2?

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 11:10 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> That's exactly the argument for shipping Regions without a mechanism
> to create a template other than by inserting elements into the document.

It's really not.

The argument against "elements only" is that there's no additional
work required, spec-wise, to make Regions work on pseudo-elements as
well.  We don't have very many pseudo-elements, and some of the
features surrounding Regions simply won't work (like registering event
listeners for those pseudos), but that's fine - the feature still
*works* without having to add any extra complexity to the spec, and
the missing parts can be added as we go along without interfering with
existing code.

Subgrid requires adding more complication to the layout algorithm, and
we're not yet sure how to even do so.  This is an additional chunk of
complexity over and beyond the current spec.  It's also separable, in
that we can add it in the future without interfering with existing
code.

My position is definitely consistent. ^_^