Re: [css3-background] PFWG input on focus ring

On 07/23/2014 05:58 PM, Michael Cooper wrote:
> Below is a quite late comment from PFWG on CSS Backgrounds and Borders Last Call
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-css3-background-20140204/
>
> About drawing focus rings: this can be done with existing border properties and the :focus psudoclass, which is good.  It
> would be nice to have some discussion of this in the spec and an example.  It would also be interesting to look at whether a
> focus ring is a different type of border, that should be drawn in a different position or style by default, and how CSS-based
> focus indicators interact with browser and OS focus indicators.  This is a feature request, and could wait until the next
> version.

Hello PFWG,
Border are not intended for focus rings: we have a separate 'outline'
property that's intended for this use case:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/ui.html#dynamic-outlines

An author can change the color/style of the browser/OS focus indicators
by changing the 'outline' property's values on the focused element.

A user can disable such modifications by restricting it via !important
rules in the user style sheet (or an equivalent UI control) just like
disabling author-specified colors and fonts.

Let me know if this addresses your concern.

~fantasai