Re: [css-line-grid] added examples to line-snap

On 7/22/14, 4:48 PM, "Alan Stearns" <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>In Seattle, one of my concerns about snapping to baseline grids was
>defining what happens when the block containing the line boxes is
>bottom-aligned.
>
>I have added some examples [1] to the line grid spec to show line snapping
>for top-aligned, centered, and bottom-aligned blocks. I used flexbox in
>building the examples, but I think the same results should occur in other
>alignment situations (such as an absolutely-positioned block with a bottom
>edge constraint and various vertical centering hacks). So the examples
>don’t go into detail on how the block alignment is achieved.
>
>Please take a look at the examples and see if you agree with the results.
>If we can agree that the examples are correct, then I’ll start adding
>normative text to the spec to support the examples.

After posting this yesterday, I realized that the bottom example had a
problem. It worked well for auto-height bottom-aligned blocks, giving a
compact result with the content as close to the block-end edge as possible
while still snapping to the grid.

But if you took the resulting height of the block and made a copy the same
height and in the same position (but without the bottom-alignment
constraint) the content would lay out entirely differently. That just
doesn’t make sense.

So I’ve changed the bottom-alignment example to get the same outcome as a
top-aligned block with that size and position. It’s not as compact as
before in all cases, but I think the consistency of layout is more
important. This makes the implementation much simpler as well.

I’ve left the centering example as-is, as it already has the layout
consistency with non-centered blocks of the same height and position.

Thanks,

Alan