[css-gcpm][css-figures] float-offset & line rhythms (was: [css-regions] responsive and semantic use of named flows)

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 12:36:06 +0100
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, "www-style\@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Robert O'Callahan worte;

 > Wouldn't this be more naturally expressed by making the <aside> be some
 > kind of positioned float or exclusion, positioned below the fold, that the
 > <article>s all flow around?

I think so. There are some examples on how to achieve this with
'float-offset' here:

   http://figures.spec.whatwg.org/#the-float-offset-property
   http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-gcpm/#the-float-offset-property

In order for the float (or whatever) to nicely align with the text, we
want a way for elements to snap to the baseline grid. I've been
working on baseline rhythms to achive this:

  http://books.spec.whatwg.org/#baseline-rhythms

We probably want float-offeset to be constrained by the element,
although it's tempting to push things outside the box, just a little.

-h&kon