Re: [css-gcpm][css-figures] float-offset & line rhythms

On 1/25/14, 3:36 AM, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

(my reply to the named flow bit stayed on its own thread)

>In order for the float (or whatever) to nicely align with the text, we
>want a way for elements to snap to the baseline grid. I've been
>working on baseline rhythms to achive this:
>
>  http://books.spec.whatwg.org/#baseline-rhythms

I am quite interested in baseline grids. The example renderings in your
proposal are a bit confusing - is there a specific browser where they
render correctly?

Your proposal has one named grid - ‘root’. I’m wondering whether you’ve
considered allowing more than one named grid. The grid established by a
parent element isn’t always what’s needed, in my opinion.

Consider a layout where you have two floated boxes of text. You want the
baselines in both floats to align to each other. I would like to be able
to say that the first baseline and line-height in the first float
establishes a baseline grid that the content in both floats will align to.
And I want that first baseline in that first float to be positioned
normally - having it align to the float’s parent grid or the body grid
could move the line down farther from the top of the float than I want.

So I think instead of ‘new’ there should be a way to say that an element
establishes a new ‘<custom-ident>’ baseline grid, and a way for a
different element to opt-in to that <custom-ident> baseline grid for its
content.

Thanks,

Alan