Re: HTML <fieldset> rendering

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 08:49:21 -0800
To: Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru>
Cc: "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru> wrote:
> 17.01.2014, 03:35, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>:
>> Browsers already support a prefixed "appearance" property whose "none" value does what you want.
>>
>> However, this doesn't help address the issues I raised.
>
> As far as I understand, the issue this thread is dedicated to is that styles are applied to special elements like FIELDSET inconsistently across browsers.

No, it's about explaining the rendering of <fieldset>.  The fact that
it renders inconsistently across browsers just makes the task more
difficult, but that's not the core point of the email.

> As long as `appearance: none` removes any special styling and makes styles to apply consistently across browsers, the issue _is_ resolved.

No, it's not, because "appearance:none" isn't applied to the elements
by default, nor can it ever be.  The default styling still needs to be
explained somehow.