[css-pseudo] First formatted line doubt (::first-line and ::first-letter)

(Adding the proper subject prefix "[css-pseudo]" to this thread.)

On 08/12/14 22:19, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Sunday 2014-12-07 14:57 +0100, Manuel Rego Casasnovas wrote:
>> The specific text from the spec: "The first line of a table-cell
>> or inline-block cannot be the first formatted line of an ancestor
>> element. Thus, in <DIV><P STYLE="display:
>> inline-block">Hello<BR>Goodbye</P> etcetera</DIV> the first
>> formatted line of the DIV is not the line "Hello"."
>>
>> I'm wondering what would be the first formatted line in the spec
>> example (probably the spec could be updated to be more explicit
>> regarding it). I think that it should be "etcetera" or none, as P
>> is inline-block and should be ignored.
>
> It seems like the first formatted line ought to be the line of the
> DIV that contains the P and the word etcetera.
>
> That's how I interpret the spec, at least.  I think it's trying to
> say that the first formatted line is the first line of the block,
> unless the block has a block-level child (or block level child's
> block level child, etc.) with an earlier line.

Thanks for the answer.

I think it'd be great to update that paragraph in the spec [1] to tell
not only what's not the first formatted line, but what's actually the
first formatted line in that case.

There's a similar example for ::first-letter [2] that has a clearer
wording:
"Thus, in <DIV><P STYLE="display: inline-block">Hello<BR>Goodbye</P>
etcetera</DIV> the first letter of the DIV is not the letter "H". In
fact, the DIV doesn't have a first letter."

Bye,
  Rego

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-pseudo-4/#first-text-line
[2] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-pseudo-4/#application-in-css