Re: [css-writing-modes] Margin Collapsing Orthogonal Flows

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 00:45:56 -0500
To: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Le 2014-12-21 00:28, Gérard Talbot a écrit :

> "
> because the containing block is in a horizontal writing mode, the
> vertical margins on the child participate in margin-collapsing, even
> though they are in the inline-axis of the child
> "
> Section 7.3 Orthogonal Flows, Example 14
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css-writing-modes-3/#orthogonal-flows

Argh... I got confused here... it really can be confusing!

In the test, the horizontal margins (100px; block start margin and block
end margin) of the child (which is the <p>) are margin-collapsing with
the div#vert-rl-wrapper's margin-left and margin-right and no where is
there an indication in the spec that such margin-collapsing could happen
or that it should happen. Example 14 is something else, is a particular
case.

> This seems to suggests that margin collapsing should occur and that
> Chrome and IE11 are correct.

This is not established by the spec. Too soon to tell.

Sorry about my previous posted message.

Gérard