Re: [css-inline] feedback on initial-letter

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:35:29 +0100
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com>

> On 11 Dec 2014, at 15:59, Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'll try to address the various CJK issues later.

Since you've asked for publication, I think it would be good to
record the comments in the spec as issues.

Also, I have one more CJK comment about an edit you did since:

 "Additionally, when borders and padding are zero and the next
  typographic character unit after the initial letter is not a
  space (Unicode general category Zs), the UA should optically
  kern the first line of text into the initial letter’s area
  as necessary to maintain perceptual continuity of the text."

This makes perfect sense for latin scripts, but seems to have
undesirable effects on CJK (and possibly other) text. For example,
in figure 3 of the spec, wouldn't this push "暮" into the space
at the bottom right of "夕", which is actually not something you
would want? Or is there something about how kerning works at the
font level that would prevent this from happening in scripts
where this is not appropriate?

 - Florian