Re: Option so line-height only affects height between lines

On 9/12/2014, at 11:15 am, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

> There are a few different ways to deal with leading. I’m assuming you’re
> looking for one of these:
>
> 1. line-height sets the baseline-to-baseline distance
>  (font-size of 16px and line-height of 20px adds 4px below the descent)
>
> 2. line-height only sets the space between lines
>  (font-size of 16px and line-height of 4px adds 4px below the descent)
>
> I think the first would make the most sense as a leading-model addition,
> as it’s closest to what CSS does now. Instead of dividing the difference
> and adding to both top and bottom, it just adds the whole difference to
> the bottom.

Yes, most of the time, we find ourselves compensating for the additional space line-height adds to the tops of elements (your first option) - see the first example (2 columns with image) on this page: http://line-height.devsite.nz/

But sometimes (particularly when a design requires a lot of line-height on headlines) the space below can also require compensating properties. During the first pass of coding a design, this usually isn’t an issue but if line-height is ever adjusted later, we also have to adjust the compensating properties - which seems unnecessary.

Cheers

Ben

___

Ben Sciascia

Sciascia Brothers
Level 1, 56 Brown Street, Ponsonby
PO Box 68-578 Newton,
Auckland, New Zealand

PH: +649 360 0559
FAX: +649 360 0012
MOB: +64 21 44 33 66

www.sciascia.co.nz

ben.sciascia@sciascia.co.nz

WARNING: This e-mail contains information which is CONFIDENTIAL and may be subject to LEGAL PRIVILEGE. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy the e-mail or attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please telephone us immediately and destroy the original message.