Re: [css-ruby] What does it mean for "ruby-position: inter-character" to force writing-mode to be vertical?

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 00:53:56 +0900
To: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com>
Great to see we're in consensus now.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 3:00 AM, Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com> wrote:

> In this case, the desired inter-property influence seems to be:
>    For any element with a computed "display" of
>    "ruby-text-container" *and* a computed "ruby-position"
>    of "inter-character", the UA must force the computed
>    "writing-mode" to be $SOME_VERTICAL_WRITING_MODE.

The ruby-position inherits, but display doesn't. If we make the
computed value of 'writing-mode' of the ruby annotation container to
be 'vertical-rl', that should inherit to its descendants. Does this
work?

I chose 'vertical-rl', since it's the natural vertical flow in Taiwan,
where the inter-character is used. It could also reduce the
interoperability risks if 'sideways' is ever used.

Fix is here:
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-ruby/#valdef-ruby-position-inter-character

/koji