Re: [css-ruby] What does it mean for "ruby-position: inter-character" to force writing-mode to be vertical?

From: Bobby Tung <bobbytung@wanderer.tw>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 00:19:13 +0800
Cc: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>, "dholbert@mozilla.com" <dholbert@mozilla.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
> Sorry for repeating questions but are you sure on #1? I remember you
> put <span>s within <rt> to place Bopomofo tone marks correctly. Was
> that issue solved somehow and you no longer need such markups within
> <rt>? Mostly from curiosity but can you let us know how you solve
> that?

Ah, I used nested ruby to put tone mark aside, but I got some negative feedback.

We had made a prototype Bopomofo ruby mark-up tool and do not use nested ruby anymore [1].

I think layout engine is the most reasonable way to put tone mark to right place.

>> 2. If yes to #1, do you want those elements layout in vertical flow,
>> or horizontal flow?

I think inter-character only help Bopomofo alignment in horizontal writing.

In vertical writing, will ruby-merge: separate; make sure ruby texts within the base? If so, that's ok.

>> 3. Do you have any use cases of having Latin characters inside of <rt>
>> for inter-character?

No.

> I'm asking, because if all answers to these 3 questions are really no,
> there's another possible way to handle inter-character just like
> text-combine-upright, though I'm not sure if implementers are happy to
> do so.

[1]: https://www.moedict.tw/lab/ruby/

Bobby