Re: [css-writing-modes][CSS21][css3-ui] defining 'cursor: auto' properly (Issue 48)

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 15:53:09 +0100
Cc: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>

> On 02 Dec 2014, at 02:10, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yeah, right, I was confused with carets, sorry about that.
>
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 7:04 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>>
>> I don’t think we should go with a MUST level requirement that the cursor be perpendicular to the path (although I don’t think there’d be anything wrong with a MAY, if any UA is willing to rotate cursors in a fine grained manner, more power to them), but we may want to make a requirement of switching between horizontal and vertical when the angle of the text / tangent of the path cross +/- 45 degrees.
>
> I think we should keep it "MAY". We should not prevent UA doing
> better, but UA might not want to do that while elements are animating.
>
> /koji

Any other opinions on this topic? when the cursor (mouse cursor, not text caret) is hovering some text that's been either rotated by a transform, or shaped along a path, should this visual orientation affect the choice of a vertical / horizontal cursor (MAY? MUST?) or should we limit the influence to the writing mode (and associated) properties?

 - Florian