Re: [css-fonts] selecting color or monochrome glyphs for emoji fonts

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 10:08:42 +0200
Cc: public-webfonts-wg <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Crossposting since no preference was indicated by OP.

John Daggett 2014-08-21:

> As emoji fonts gain popularity across platforms, authors are
> starting to run into problems where they end up getting a color
> emoji glyph for a symbol they desire to be monochrome

Having been exposed to auto-colored card suit symbols,
I agree it makes sense to address this in CSS.

There are some points to consider, though.

 — Are glyphs with inherent color(s) affected by the ‘color’ property?

 — Does this change if the stylesheet says something non-default,
   e.g. using ‘font-variant-color’?

 — If I remember correctly, some color font formats use bitmap glyphs –
   should authors also be able to express a preference for vectors?

 — This isn’t (yet) covered by an Open Type feature, as far as I know,
   but most ‘font-variant’ sub-properties are designed to match such.
   Does a new property fit in with them?