Re: [css-fonts] selecting color or monochrome glyphs for emoji fonts

John Daggett wrote:
> As emoji fonts gain popularity across platforms, authors are
> starting to run into problems where they end up getting a color
> emoji glyph for a symbol they desire to be monochrome (for an
> example bug report, see [1]). I'm thinking it might make sense to
> have a CSS property to allow authors to explicitly control this:
>
> font-variant-color: auto | color | monochrome
> initial value: auto

This sounds like a good idea to me.

> Like other font-variant property values, this would only affect
> glyph selection. If alternate glyphs are not available, using this
> property would not affect how text is rendered. User agents must not
> try and simulate fallback glyphs for fonts lacking color glyphs.

What happens if you use "font-variant-color: monochrome" and the font
has a colour glyph but no monochrome glyph?

> I should note here that all the color font formats in use currently
> (Apple/Google/Microsoft/SVG) all add additional tables to a TrueType
> font to contain the color glyph data. So there are typically
> monochrome glyphs for all characters but not necessarily color
> glyphs.

Do you think we need a way to select between the different coloured font
tables?  I'm not sure how likely it is that we'll see fonts with CBDT
and SVG and COLR tables, but it's possible.