Re: [css-color] Preemptive rebuttal to requests to merge the JS color classes

On Fri, 8 Aug 2014 13:26:27 -0700
"Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> In IRC, Lea inadvertently made some arguments for keeping the
> attributes single-letter, rather than words.  The "k" in "cmyk"
> technically stands for "key" (as in key plate; I don't know what that
> is), rather than "blacK", so using words means we have a choice of
> being accurate-but-confusing or intuitive-but-inaccurate.

A key plate, or keystone, is the first plate used for printing; the other colours are aligned to it. It does not have to be black. In CMYK printing the black is the key, though, so yes K in that context is Key.

In a duotone with, say, red and grey inks, the red plate might be chosen as the key. Calling K "black" in CMYK would be perfectly acceptable and would match common usage.

> Further, it's unclear whether the "canonical" words for the W and B
> channels of HWB are white/black or whiteness/blackness.

That we don't know the correct spelling isn't an argument for making them cryptic. The original paper by Alvy Ray Smith and Eric Ray Lyns [1] uses whiteness and blackness, as does (for what little it's worth) wikipedia.

There might be other reasons to prefer single-character channel names, but I don't think either of these two were good reasons.

Best,

Liam

[1] http://alvyray.com/Papers/CG/HWB_JGTv208.pdf