Re: [css-gcpm][css-color] device-cmyk() interaction with RGB-space colors.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 4:57 AM, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

> Hello Rik,
>
> Friday, September 13, 2013, 4:33:46 AM, you wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >>  That would be a device-independent profile, which obviously goes
> >>  against the apparent point of the function
>
> > Not sure if I follow. When you print, you will use the profile of the
> device.
>
> No, the point of device colour is that there is no processing. You
> don't attach a colour profile to the device CMYK and then colour
> manage it (which might change the values).

I think we're saying the same thing.
In a CMS workflow in the Adobe applications, we tag all content with
profiles. If during printing the profile of the element matches the output
profile, no conversion is necessary and the colors are passed along as-is.