Re: [css-gcpm][css-color] device-cmyk() interaction with RGB-space colors.

Hello Rik,

Friday, September 13, 2013, 4:33:46 AM, you wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  That would be a device-independent profile, which obviously goes
>>  against the apparent point of the function

> Not sure if I follow. When you print, you will use the profile of the device.

No, the point of device colour is that there is no processing. You
don't attach a colour profile to the device CMYK and then colour
manage it (which might change the values).

> The CMYK values will be used as-is since they are assumed to be in
> the colorspace of the device (hence device-cmyk).

Yes, they will be used as-is.

> RGB is always in sRGB so you will go from sRGB to device dependent CMYK

No, RGB is not necessarily sRGB. But yes, if you have colour in some
calibrated RGB space and are outputting on some calibrated CMYK
device, you will go from your RGB profile to the PCS to the target
CMYK.

--
Best regards,