Re: [css3-page] Styling elements differently based on whether they appear on a left or right page

Lea Verou wrote:

 > For example, in my case, one of the things I wanted to be different
 > is border-radius. Are we going to also add things like
 > border-top-outside-radius?! That would be ridiculous, wouldn’t it?

Absolutely, combinatorial explosions in property names must be avoided.

If you want different sidenotes for left and right pages, you can use
the @sidenote construct:

  @page :left {
    @sidenote {
      border-radius: 0.2em 0 0 0.2em;
  }}
  @page :right {
    @sidenote {
      border-radius: 0 0.4em 0.4em 0;
  }}

  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-gcpm/#sidenotes
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-css3-gcpm-20070504/#sidenotes

Here's a sample document that uses the feature:

  http://people.opera.com/howcome/2013/tests/css-gcpm/sidenote.html

And here's how AntennaHouse renders it:

  http://people.opera.com/howcome/2013/tests/css-gcpm/sidenote-ah.pdf

I'm happy to hear you're formatting your book in CSS;

  https://twitter.com/LeaVerou/status/364842221209526273

Bert and I did the same back when, and we wrote up on our experience:

  http://alistapart.com/article/boom

Things have improved since then, even if much work remain. Here's an
overview of the capabilities of GCPM implementations, as well as links
to test pages:

  http://people.opera.com/howcome/2013/tests/css-gcpm/coverage.html

Cheers,

-h&kon