Re: [CSSOM View] Units for window.screen

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 12:33:30 +1200
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>, "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kanghaol@oupeng.com>
On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 2:22 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> It can size popup windows which use the same unit.
>>

> You mean parameters to window.open? Hmm.
>
> Things that are sized in CSS pixels have no use of the screen's width.
>>

> Maybe the problem is that I don't know what the legitimate uses are for
> getting the screen width. I know it's used as part of device sniffing, but
> that's inherently bogus.

To clarify, I don't see sizing popups to fill half your screen, or
something like that, as being legitimately useful. (If you want to fill the
screen, we have the fullscreen API for that.) Popup windows are mostly
blocked and when they are used they should be sizing based on their
content. In most cases they should probably inherit the parent window's
zoom as well.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w  *
*