Re: [filter-effects] filter different components of an element

From: Lea Verou <lea@verou.me>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 23:52:07 +0300
Cc: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
On Sep 6, 2013, at 12:23, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
> With the CSS filter() image function I see a lot of the use cases already addressed. You can filter background-image, border-image-source, mask-image, mask-image-source, list-item-image and apply the filter property on the content itself. There are still things you can not do with the filter property nor with the filter() function, but I didn't hear any request from authors so far.
>
> I would be in favor for removing this issue or (if people feel strongly about it) at least delay it to the next level of the spec.
>
> Any opinions?

Are there any actual use cases that filter() doesn’t cover?

Although it might be worth it to design a generic mechanism for styling backgrounds, borders etc separately. Many of the FXTF specs need this: Blending modes, Compositing, filters, masking etc. If this is exposed, it’s seems unwise to approach every case separately. Perhaps we could do it by adding a bunch of pseudo-elements? But then it gets complicated to define which properties are available there…

~Lea