Re: [css3-page] Styling elements differently based on whether they appear on a left or right page

On 9/1/13 3:24 PM, "Lea Verou" <lea@verou.me> wrote:

>Another issue I see that hasn't been discussed much in this thread is
>fragmentation. How are the rules applied if an element spreads across
>multiple pages? Ideally each rule would apply only to the fragment of the
>element in the targeted page, but I can see how that might be difficult
>to spec and/or implement. In that case, we could define it so that the
>rules apply to the entire element, based on which page its first fragment
>is on. Then authors could make sure that these elements don¹t span
>multiple pages if this behavior is undesirable (for example, you usually
>don't want sidebar blocks to span multiple pages anyway).

There are plenty of examples of sidebars spanning multiple pages in print.
In paginated views, it's impossible to make sure elements don't span pages
when you can't control the size of the page. I think dealing with the
complexities of styling fragments of elements is necessary.

>I think cluttering CSS with more values like inside/outside is a mistake.
>We cannot possibly foresee all the things people might want to
>differentiate between left or right pages. For example, in my case, one
>of the things I wanted to be different is border-radius. Are we going to
>also add things like border-top-outside-radius?! That would be
>ridiculous, wouldn¹t it?

I agree - we should not go down the path of adding special-case properties
and/or values for use cases like left/right or inside/outside.

Thanks,

Alan