Re: [css-values] The length unit 'Q' (quarter of millimeter)

Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote on 2013/11/17 22:31:10
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 2:38 AM, MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>wrote:
> > I would like to propose adding a length unit, 'Q' (1Q = 0.25mm).
> >
> > The unit 'Q' is very common in Japanese typesetting and
> > all major professional typesetting system used in Japan support
> > this, for example, InDesign's Japanese version uses 'Q' as font size
> > unit by default setting.
> >
> > I think the unit 'Q' is not only necessary for Japanese typesetting
> > professionals but also useful for many other people worldwide using
> > the international standard metric system.
> >
> > See the following article for more details about 'Q':
> >
> >   Font size in the metric system (by Toshi Omagari)
> >   http://tosche.net/2013/10/font-size-in-the-metric-system_e.html
>

> Hi Shinyu,
>
> this is a good request, especially in light of the article you posted:
>
>   The Q&Ha system (or just Q) is especially suited for Japanese typography
>   because almost all typefaces were designed in the square; proportional
>   Japanese fonts have been rare, especially in the phototypesetting era.
>
> The article also states that 'h' is used for non-typographical measurement,
> is it important?

The article states: "There is also a unit called Ha or simply H or h,
which is basically the same as Q but used for anything other than type size."
That is, the Q is used mainly for font-size and the "Ha" (H or h) is
for other (e.g., for leading), historically.

However, since Q and "Ha" are same unit. I think the Q is sufficient,
can be used for other than font-size.

Shinyu Murakami
Antenna House