Re: [css-values] The length unit 'Q' (quarter of millimeter)

From: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 05:31:10 -0800
To: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 2:38 AM, MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose adding a length unit, 'Q' (1Q = 0.25mm).
>
> The unit 'Q' is very common in Japanese typesetting and
> all major professional typesetting system used in Japan support
> this, for example, InDesign's Japanese version uses 'Q' as font size
> unit by default setting.
>
> I think the unit 'Q' is not only necessary for Japanese typesetting
> professionals but also useful for many other people worldwide using
> the international standard metric system.
>
> See the following article for more details about 'Q':
>
>   Font size in the metric system (by Toshi Omagari)
>   http://tosche.net/2013/10/font-size-in-the-metric-system_e.html

Hi Shinyu,

this is a good request, especially in light of the article you posted:

The Q&Ha system (or just Q) is especially suited for Japanese typography
because almost all typefaces were designed in the square; proportional
Japanese fonts have been rare, especially in the phototypesetting era.

The article also states that 'h' is used for non-typographical measurement,
is it important?