Re: [css-values] The length unit 'Q' (quarter of millimeter)

On 17/11/2013 18:38, MURAKAMI Shinyu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose adding a length unit, 'Q' (1Q = 0.25mm).
>
> The unit 'Q' is very common in Japanese typesetting and
> all major professional typesetting system used in Japan support
> this, for example, InDesign's Japanese version uses 'Q' as font size
> unit by default setting.
>
> I think the unit 'Q' is not only necessary for Japanese typesetting
> professionals but also useful for many other people worldwide using
> the international standard metric system.
>
> See the following article for more details about 'Q':
>
>    Font size in the metric system (by Toshi Omagari)
>    http://tosche.net/2013/10/font-size-in-the-metric-system_e.html

I don’t know if we should do this at all, but we could define 1Q as
0.25mm. Note however that it would not necessarily equal 0.25
millimeters. Size anything in CSS mm and put a ruler to your screen,
you’ll most probably get a different result because of the definition of
the reference pixel:

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-values/#reference-pixel

(Implementations like Antenna House can choose to make CSS absolute
lengths match physical lengths on paper, though.)

Is that OK with you?

--
Simon Sapin