Re: [css-align] use of start/end edge needs qualification

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <>wrote:

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Glenn Adams <> wrote:
> > In [1], the phrases "start edge" and "end edge" are used without
> qualifying
> > which axis applies.
> That's because this is the generic list of terms which are shared by
> several alignment properties.  The axis in which they apply is
> determined by the property.
> (If this is a problem, then several other terms like "center" are
> similarly ambiguous.)

In the present case, they are used in a technical sense, so there should be
a definition or a reference to one.

> > Also, I notice the terms "start side" and "end side" also appear under
> the
> > definitions of self-start and self-end. The term "side" is not defined in
> > this spec nor is a definition referenced. For that matter, the term
> "edge"
> > is similarly undefined. At the minimum, "edge" and "side" need to be
> > carefully distinguished, with example illustrations if possible.
> >
> > [1]
> They're both English words, not special technical terms.  I don't
> think further definition is necessary, unless you can explain how you
> find them confusing.

Since in this case, I have no idea the difference between "edge" and
"side", then it is definitely a problem.

> ~TJ

Received on Friday, 31 May 2013 02:38:09 UTC