Re: [css-display]? Compositing, expensive things, and laziness

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 10:22:42 -0700
To: Jon Rimmer <jon.rimmer@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 5:19 PM, Jon Rimmer <jon.rimmer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what happens today if you apply a transition-delay:
> 0.01s to the expensive content only? Does the painting time still
> delay the transition of both?

I'll ask the relevant people when they come into the office.  ^_^

> For the hint, maybe let transition-delay accept some value like "auto"
> / "lazy" / "whenevs"?

I've been told that this affects more than just
transitions/animations, and so just adding something to the
transition/animation spec won't fully help, but I'm not clear on
exactly what.  Again, I'll ask.

> You might also want a value like "catch-up" that lets transitions be
> started late, but then jumps them to where they would have been if
> they had begun transitioning when the others started.

I think that this abrupt jumping is seen as worse by users than being
smooth-but-slightly-late.

~TJ