Re: [css-display]? Compositing, expensive things, and laziness

On 3 May 2013 00:39, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's some pictures of the example in my previous post.
>
> This is right now:
>
>  +--------------------+
>  |xxxxxxxx            |
>  |        x           |
>  |         x          |
>  |          x         |
>  |           x        |
>  |            xxxxxxxx|
>  +--------------------+
>  |            xxxxxxxx|
>  |           x        |
>  |          x         |
>  |         x          |
>  |        x           |
>  |xxxxxxxx            |
>  +--------------------+
>
> The graph starts at the time the .ready class is added, and charts the
> progress of the opacity animations.  The first line is for the spinner, the
> second is for the expensive-to-paint item.  Because transitions have to move
> in lockstep, but we're not immediately ready to start painting the expensive
> item, we delay both transitions until everything's ready.
>
> We'd like to let authors annotate their page such that you get this graph
> instead:
>
>  +--------------------+
>  |x                   |
>  | x                  |
>  |  x                 |
>  |   x                |
>  |    x               |
>  |     xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
>  +--------------------+
>  |            xxxxxxxx|
>  |           x        |
>  |          x         |
>  |         x          |
>  |        x           |
>  |xxxxxxxx            |
>  +--------------------+
>
> Where the spinner goes ahead and starts its transition immediately, without
> waiting for the expensive item to be ready.
>
> ~TJ

Out of curiosity, what happens today if you apply a transition-delay:
0.01s to the expensive content only? Does the painting time still
delay the transition of both?

For the hint, maybe let transition-delay accept some value like "auto"
/ "lazy" / "whenevs"?

You might also want a value like "catch-up" that lets transitions be
started late, but then jumps them to where they would have been if
they had begun transitioning when the others started.

Jon