Re: [css3-align] Some questions about justify-self

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Christian Biesinger
<cbiesinger@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Christian Biesinger
> <cbiesinger@chromium.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> For guidance, check out the Flexbox Baselines section
>>> <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-flexbox/#flex-baselines>, which is very
>>> precise and explains how to handle cases when there's no appropriate
>>> baseline in a particular direction.
>
> Upon re-reading the baseline paragraph, I noticed that it only applies
> to table cells (and grid and flex).

I think you're misreading, or reading too much into it.

The paragraph about table-cells is because, when doing baseline
alignment for table cells, it's specified that only a specific subset
of children are looked at to find the baseline of the cell.  In
particular, blocks are ignored, so that it can find some text instead.
 That paragraph makes sure that it looks at flexboxes as well.

No other layout modes skip over children like that, so nothing needed
to be said about them.

> Is that a useful constraint? I was originally thinking that this was
> basically for equivalence with vertical-align:baseline, but that would
> only make sense for align-content:baseline, not for
> justify-content:baseline.

'vertical-align' is irrelevant for this question - the actual
*baseline of a table cell*, used by any property that wants a
baseline, is defined in a particular weird way, which Flexbox patches.

~TJ